How cold does a freezer get?
Storing food in the freezer is very common, easy, and one of the safest methods of preserving foods for future use. Although freezing foods cannot destroy pathogenic organisms that have grown on a food, they can stop and prevent them from growing. The ideal temperature your freezer should be to maintain the quality of your food for a certain period is at a temperature below-18° C (0°F).
How cold does a freezer get? It depends on the type:
- Ultra-low temperature commercial freezers can go down to -85°C
- Science laboratory freezers go down to -45°C
- Commercial food freezers go down to -40°C
Storing food in the freezer for a very long time than required could deteriorate its qualities such as its taste, look, texture, and aroma. Have you ever noticed the change in your food after forgetting it for a while in the freezer, you would have realized it wasn’t as fresh and delicious as the first time it was consumed? This illustrates what we mean.
Guidelines for Storing Food in the Freezer
Here are some guidelines for storing food in the freezer:
• Store food in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn. Freezer burn is th greyish brown dry spots that start to show on foods that are not well stored in an airtight container. Note that a food that has a freezer burn is still safe to consume. Just that the quality of that food would have degraded.
• Ensure your freezer is set to a temperature that is far below -18°C. This is where using a freezer that defrosts itself is quite disadvantageous. As those freezers would not maintain that temperature, it would keep fluctuating. This feature could worsen the food’s quality very quickly and would give room for microorganisms to grow rapidly.
• You would want to consider using a refrigerator thermometer and alert in your freezer to monitor and ensure the right temperature is maintained. This could be found in any groceries stores and any kitchen appliance stores.
• Whenever you purchase frozen food, always make sure you read the cooking instructions
• To ensure your food remains safe after a shortage of power, abide by always having a frozen water in the freezer. That would help keep your food cool during the period of a
• Also, do not over stack your freezer. Give space for air to circulate properly. This is another reason it is very important your food storages are airtight.
• Maintain a good hygiene in your freezer. Clean it frequently to get rid of spills and other stains. This would help to prevent pathogenic organisms from developing as well.
Is there a difference between a domestic and commercial freezer?
If you have been using your old home freezer for quite some time, and maybe you are thinking of getting a new one simply because it no longer works as effectively as it used to. Or maybe you have recently ventured in a business that requires the use of a freezer, and this little papa in your kitchen wouldn’t be enough for your
At this point, you might be wondering what the difference between a domestic and commercial freezer is, to be to choose the best option of the two. To be able to decide effectively, read below some differences between them.
• Like you might have thought, commercial freezers are very much colder than domestic freezers. The ideal temperature of a domestic freezer and basically all freezers is a temperature starting from -18°C and lower. As mentioned earlier, the temperatures of commercial freezers can start from -30°C and lower.
• Due to the above, food can be stored for a much longer period in the commercial freezers than in the domestic ones.
• The commercial freezers might consume more energy than the domestic ones. It is very ideal to cool the food that is going to be stored in commercial freezers before storage. This helps to save the required energy a bit.
• Also, commercial freezers are much less prone to the growth of organisms than the domestic freezers are.
• The food stored in commercial freezers maintain their quality for a much longer period than those stored in domestic ones.
• Finally, when it comes to
In conclusion, if you’ve got enough space in your house, and you do not bother about cost, we would say investing in a commercial freezer might be a better option in comparison with domestic ones. Especially if it is going to be utilized for commercial purposes.